[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
A Fourth Faction/More Campaign Levels
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
waflz27

[Avatar]
waflz27

A new faction would be nice(it would be fun, wouldnt it.)

But 4 sure mor campaign levels. ITS 2 SHORT!!!

-waflz27-
magic molly

magic molly

No. Under no circumstances should a fourth faction be brought in.

While on the surface, it seems good, right?

But consider it from a balancer's perspective. How they managed to get three factions so well balanced is incredible, but believeable. Think about it. How many pairing-ups is that? Six (make a triangle with three points, one for each faction, the lines connecting them is one pairing, and then each vs itself) for 2v2, two (ish) for three way, and four way adds no more pairings.

Now try that with 4 factions. Oh. Yeah. Make a square with four points. You've got, six for non-civil war games, and four more for civil war games. Then in three way you've got, about 4 new ones, and four way adds two.

For an example, let's look at a game like Supreme Commander. Heard of it? Yeah, neither has most of the world. You know why? Because they added a fourth faction. (well, also because it took some actual brainpower to play, unlike starcraft, but that was because of this) Until the fourth faction, they could keep it balanced. They had a rather awesome game. And then it went downhill.

No fourth faction. Ever.
[Avatar]
waflz27

[Avatar]
waflz27

Hey, i see wut you mean now about the whole balance thing, but yeah I still think more campaign levels would be nice.

Its good to see someone else who plays Supreme Commander
Anonymous

Anonymous
Could have a 4th race but only avail in solo mode. This would allow added depth necessitating more campaign levels. To add to this, it would be nice to be able to fight more than one computer opponent on a map.
The Reaver

The Reaver

Well, I HAVE heard of Supreme Commander because my friend plays it like a crackhead and he thinks it's great.

I really would be up for a fourth faction as well as some new abilities and maps. Uniwar is a great game and, though already deep, more content would be great. The "fourth faction is bad" argument is weak, especially with the backing example of an RTS. Uniwar is a turn-based game, not an RTS. I'm sure they could figure out balancing. Even comparing an RTS to Uniwar, look at Dawn of War II, for example. That game has four factions, and it's doing amazingly well in the gaming market.

Want an example of a turn based game that has more than three factions? Then look at The Battle for Wesnoth. That game has not three, not four, but SIX factions and it is INCREDIBLY balanced. It's even a hex-based game, so though its battle system is a bit different from Uniwar's, it shares similarities.

Hell, even if more factions aren't added, I'd be content with more units and maps. I won't go on further, but, put quite simply, I believe more content would improve the game.
brainiac

brainiac

an interesting addition to campaign mode might be greater than 2 player missions. examples: 1)as sapiens you need to help out another team of sapiens who is close to being overrun by khraleans. 2)as sapiens you need to ally with khraleans to prevent titans from taking over the world (perhaps on penisulas)
Anonymous

Anonymous
A fourth faction can be added without upsetting the game balance.
Assuming the first 3 factions are balanced, just add the 4th faction and only make changes to that faction until it is balanced with the first 3 factions.

So what special abilities would the 4th faction have? Here are some crazy suggestions just to get the ball rolling:
1) Ability to shapeshift into the form of an adjacent enemy unit
2) Ability to peek into areas covered by fog of war
3) Ability to damage all units in a small area (fireball).
4) Ability to warp time/ time travel - not sure how this would work.
5) Ability of a flying unit to carry ground light units (troop transport).

Abviously any of these would require a lot of testing and would only be for unrated games.
The Reaver

The Reaver

Actually, I'd think that the first three would have to be altered to include a fourth faction. Assuming that new abilities would be included, the first three would need either more units or certain new abilities to counter the new faction's abilities and units. Also, a fourth faction would require a revamp of the conversion system. One previous race would have to be able to convert the new race, and the new race would have to be able to convert one of the previous races (unless this new race ignores conversion completely, which would be okay).

For your special abilities, Anonymous, 1-3 sound good. However, the time travel thing is lol, and the troop transport is a bit unnecessary, imo.

Another thing I'd like to see added is cities that are able to be captured. This would be borrowing from Advance Wars, but it's a good idea nonetheless. Basically, a unit would be able to capture these just like a base or harbor, and they would produce a small amount of credits, add a defensive bonus, and a +1 repair bonus, but you would not be able to produce units from them. This would create interesting strategy, as you can't simply turtle around your base/a good choke point.
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

The Reaver wrote: Another thing I'd like to see added is cities that are able to be captured. This would be borrowing from Advance Wars, but it's a good idea nonetheless. Basically, a unit would be able to capture these just like a base or harbor, and they would produce a small amount of credits, add a defensive bonus, and a +1 repair bonus, but you would not be able to produce units from them. This would create interesting strategy, as you can't simply turtle around your base/a good choke point.

Great suggestion! Taken note of it for the future...
Forum Index » New Feature Request